Monday, June 9, 2008

anti headache chocolate cake



My mother in law turns 60 today. ( Happy Birthday Sylvia!)
I made a Vietnamese Feast on Saturday which I will be outlining for you very, very soon.
However, its early in the morning and I'm still kind of dragging so I thought I would start us off with cake.
This cake is so stupidly good. This cake is even more stupidly easy.
A friend tipped me off to the diet cake awhile ago and its really the only way I go for most occasions. It eases up the cake calories so I can have more delectable topping calories.

A diet cake is a box of your favorite cake mix and a can of diet soda.
Thats it. I have mixed chocolate with diet cherry coke, diet root beer, regular diet soda... I have done spice cake with diet ginger ale and diet seven up. The options are endless, really.

So this one was diet cherry coke and chocolate.
Mix them together for a couple minutes with an electric mixer and pour into a greased bundt and cook as per instructions. ( my oven and bundt call for about 35 minutes)

After you remove the cake from oven and its sits for a few minutes to cool, invert onto cake plate and set aside. In a double boiler melt 2.5 ounces chopped dark chocolate lavender bar and 1 ounce dark chocolate. Melt nice and slow stirring gently. Drizzle with a spoon over the top of cake.
Stick the whole thing into the fridge until the chocolate is hard again. While this is happening whip some heavy whipping cream to form stiff peaks. Before serving dollop some cream about the top, garnish with a few heads of lavender from your (or your neighbors) garden, and sprinkle the whole thing with a little bit of dark chocolate bits.

Stick a few candles in and sing a song.

Keeping in mind as you eat, the delightful soothing headache relieving benefits of lavender.
And then go do the dishes.
Again.

<3,
jamey

No comments: