Thursday, June 12, 2008

because its f'n cold lentil soup


I may have figured out something important yesterday when I was so into my lentils that I forgot to get the photographs I wanted. I think I love them. I do. I love lentils. Not quite enough to marry them, but enough to spend some time getting to know them a little better. I would let lentils take me out, totally. I think this must be why I have never really changed a lentil recipe. It must be purely because the lentils are just sooo damn good. This is another everyday food recipe I found last fall and we used all winter...(which we appear to still be in the midst of) So here goes the perfect easy 25 minute lentil soup. In a heavy stock pot with a little bit of oil cook up 1 onion and 3-4 cloves garlic. I toss in bit of salt, pepper , and 1 teaspoon of cayenne after the onions are translucent. When all smells yummy, 3 carrots diced very small, add 1 (32 oz) box of vegetable stock, 1 bag of lentils, 1 bay leaf (remove before serving), and 3 cups water. Bring all of this to a simmer and cover half way. Cook until tender (about 25 minutes) and then add a little more salt to taste. I top these with homemade sourdough croutons. I cut day olds and butts into 1 inch cubes and toss with salt, pepper, and olive oil. This gets baked on a sheet for about 8 minutes at 375, tossing once half way through. Serve to your starving family with a dash of parmesan.
yum!

<3,
jamey

1 comment:

Katey said...

...and it's good!
We made your soup and ate it after a few minutes of cooling in the freezer. We had to cook the green lentils about 40 minutes total, well worth the extra wait. thanks for the recipe and the wit.