Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Red Beans and Rice for Riah


This is probably the closest thing my family has to a "family recipe". My parents started making it when I was a teen and it has gone through many incarnations since. While making this last night I had to do something I had never done before while cooking red beans and rice, I had to measure.
It was a little discombobulating and it totally slowed down what is normally a super fast weeknight meal, though I think it was worth it. For I had a goal, folks. Yes indeedy I did. I wanted to get this recipe out for Mariah so maybe she could make it for her mom, Annie. See Mariah professes to love my version and compares her mothers and mine on a regular basis ( which I confess I find endearing and flattering). I thought I could kill two birds with one stone and feed my family and pass on this recipe to someone who loves it as much as I did at her age. One of the really great parts about this recipe is that it feeds about 10 people. (Which means we have lunch leftovers, Yay!)
I start by dicing one whole onion and 4 cloves garlic. I heat a big cast iron skillet add a little oil and toss in half of the onion and garlic, adding a little salt and pepper. These will cook until the onion is translucent and then you'll add 1 1/2 pounds of ground turkey, cooking it through. Now, I add half my onions and garlic instead of all for one very specific reason...I like the crunch of the second half of onion in the overall texture at the end. After the turkey is cooked through add in one large can dark red kidney beans, two small cans light red kidney beans(all drained), 1 tablespoon grasshopper spit, 1 teaspoon dried oregano crushed in fingers, 1 teaspoon garlic chili paste, a bit of salt and pepper keeping in mind you can always add more later so don't over do it, and the second half of your garlic and onions. stir this up, cover and cook for about 10 minutes. When your beans start to split and everything tastes good add 6-7 scallions whites and greens chopped, and about 1/4 cup fresh basil. Mix all of this together and serve over basmati rice. Top with a little sri racha and grasshopper spit if you like and eat.

<3,
jamey

2 comments:

Dad said...

Interesting , I like how you changed it up think I will try it myself. One of my favorite dishes, yummy.

Dad

Annie said...

Riah was really bummed when I showed this to her. Deservedly so.

:)

Sigh. Kids.