Monday, June 2, 2008

wedding day dal


Its not often that I make a recipe that I don't eventually end up changing. This weekend we had a wedding with a potluck dinner and then a couple of friends over for Sunday dinner( we'll get to that one later) These are times when I generally stick to family favorites or quick classics...that usually just happen to be recipes that after my first attempt I have never felt a need to change.
I chose this dal for the wedding because its good, its easy, and it needs very little explanation or time. I originally found this recipe in everyday food.

If you can find canned lentils for this it will only take about twenty-twenty five minutes to make.
If not, go ahead and cook your lentils, I use the whole bag, for about twenty minutes until tender.

In a large heavy pot heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil.
Add one whole onion chopped and about 2 inches of grated ginger.

Cook these up with a little salt until the onions are translucent.

Add 1.5 tablespoons garam masala ( I prefer mixing my own, I'll get to that another time)
1 tablespoon curry powder ( mild to hot its up to you)
1 teaspoon cayanne

Cook all this up for about a minute or so, it will make a beautiful smell.

Add lentils and one big can of your favorite tomato sauce plus one cup water.

Stir it all together and let it simmer for about 15 minutes or so...

Toss on some fresh chopped cilantro and the juice from half a lime.

Serve with basmati rice and lime wedges.

ta'da!

easy.

yummy.

vegan.
( I have at times topped this dish with thinly sliced grilled pork loin, its nice...but unnecessary)

This dish helped us meet some really great local folks whom I hope we will be seeing again.

Congratulations Nate and Lori!

<3
Jamey

No comments: