Tuesday, June 10, 2008

you're gonna need a bigger bowl noodle salad


Alright, this one seems a little complicated but I promise you its not. I make a huge batch of the necessary marinade/sauce because I use 4/6 chicken breasts and a half a block of very firm tofu. The Vicala market on MLK is, so far, the only place near us that sells Tacoma Tofu. Tacoma Tofu is a tofu wholesaler on MLK as well. It has always seemed a little strange to us that this product isn't abundant in the area. Perhaps more people have wondered the same thing?
Anyhow, the marinade...I use about a cup of low sodium soy sauce, 1/2 cup lite rice wine vinegar 3 tablespoons organic brown sugar teaspoon anchovy paste or fish sauce 3-4 green onions, 3-4 garlic cloves, and red pepper flakes a teaspoon and a half give or take. This recipe would typically call for lime juice but I ALWAYS forget it (though I find a place for it later). I chop my chicken breasts very thin and marinate in a plastic bag using about half the marinade. The tofu get diced and marinated in a small glass or metal bowl. I let these sit at room temperature for a half an hour to 45 minutes.


In the mean time I soak my noodles for ten minutes in cold water, and then boil for ten minutes. When I remove them from the heat I rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process and set them aside. I use a vegetable peeler to get my carrot ribbons. I cut my english cucumber into strips. I spend a little time chopping up cilantro, mint, and lemon verbena ( all grown in my flower beds alongside my pretty things, though I can never seem to produce enough cilantro to make it worth our while) I pull my bean sprouts out of the fridge and cut up some limes and a few more scallions if I feel like it. Usually, with kid, dog, cat, and husband interruptions this keeps me busy until its time to get everything cooking.
I throw Isabella's marinated tofu into the wok first, cook it up for a few minutes and set aside covered with foil. I the cook the chicken in batches ( in a little oil) until I can't help but burn my fingers and mouth stealing tastes. This is where the lime juice I forget in the marinade comes in. As the chicken is about to leave the wok, hit it with some fresh lime juice and then set aside in a covered bowl until everything is done and you are ready to compile. The noodles go into a bowl, followed by everything else in any order you like. Topped with a couple spoonfuls of the sauce and maybe a little sri racha, this dish is unstoppable. No kidding. Unfreakingstoppable.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice presentation, it looks yummmmy.
Really yummmy.