Monday, July 14, 2008

mommy's meatball subs


Those stupid Subway sandwich commercials have taken over the minds of my family. We don't ever eat there...ever. Yet when I ask what people want for dinner what do I hear? "Subway meatball sandwiches" UGH! What? NO!!! Don't get me wrong... I love meatball subs. Just not crappy ones so I decided to give it a shot.( A waistline, heart friendly shot at that.) I started with John LaFemina's recipe for a basic tomato sauce. In a stock pot over medium heat I cooked 1/4 cup shallots and 1 tablespoon chopped garlic until softened. I added two 28-ounce cans of whole plum tomatoes, 2 tablespoons salt, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, pinch of pepper and a
pinch of crushed red pepper. Cook this on high heat for about 30 minutes stirring occasionally, breaking up tomatoes slightly, then lower heat to medium and simmer for another 30 minutes. This makes a lot of sauce and the leftovers can be frozen for up to 3 months.
While the sauce was cooking I made up some meatballs using my recipe that I really should link to here, but don't know how. It was in June. Find it. I felt guilty feeding my family a fruity meat sandwich. I thought, hmmmm, maybe I should make a salad...AHA! No! I'll make a spinach and arugula topping for this delightful sandwich. Brilliant! ( No, seriously... I really said that. Out loud. To myself. Alone. In the kitchen.) I whipped up my basic vinagrette and remembered to add the lemon juice this time. I washed and chopped some arugula and baby Walla Walla greens from last weeks farmers market. I found some baby spinach in the refrigerator and tossed it all together while I stuck some sourdough rolls under the broiler for a minute. The result was really great. I was really excited. The greens and vinagrette really filled in the flavor of the light tomato sauce.

To be honest, I was a little nervous about this one. It wasn't traditional.
The flavors were lighter, less invasive than you're regular overindulgent sandwich.
The reviews were rave! The kids and the men ate them without pause.
Yay for meatballs!

<3,
Jamey

4 comments:

annie said...

heh. i'm going to leave this family friendly.. but you know.

jamey r said...

no.

huh uh.

i don't.

what.

Greg said...

Jamey..In your blog, you seem so well spoken and eloquent..Then in your response to Annie up there, you sound like a ...well... kind of like a meatball.

jamey r said...

dear greg,
eat a dick.
love,
jamey