Thursday, July 24, 2008

you have never had it this good pork tenderloin with white wine and shallot sauce


One day back in February I was removing the fat and silver skin from a pork tenderloin while Isabelle watched. The sight of me sliding that very sharp knife under those long veins of inedible tissue turned something in my delightfully carnivorous daughter. She proclaimed right then and there that she would never eat meat again and to her credit she has not. Though everytime I make pork tenderloin with shallot and white wine sauce...I swear I see her salivate. Its so interesting to me that a little girl who I have witnessed sing the praises of meat from bacon to goat, a child who never flinched at the idea of eating babe, or bunny, could just turn her back. Go figure. So. In honor of Isabella's vegetarian proclamation, I bring you, PORK! YUM. Buy the best quality pork tenderloins you can. You are going to want to trim these, wash them, pat them dry. My rubs vary and I adjust based on whatever herb flavor I seem to be craving that week but the base is always the same, dry mustard. This week in my mortar and pestle it was dry mustard powder, salt, pepper, dry onion, lots of oregano, and a dash of thyme. I rubbed this all over both clean pieces of pork, wrapped them in plastic and refrigerated for a few hours. ( I have been known to do this for 24 hours) DO NOT FORGET to let your meat sit at room temperature for about an hour before cooking. I am serious about this. Its important. Now in my big giant cast iron skillet I have some olive oil heating on high heat. Its hot and popping when I toss the tenderloins in and let brown on all sides before I throw the whole entire thing into a 400 degree oven.

I have never been very good at timing things. I tend to cook by smell and browning. Thats not necessarily safe when cooking pork and poultry so I also cook by temperature.
Set your timer for 13-15 minutes and then check your temp. You are going to take the pork out of the oven at 150 degrees internal temp. You'll set it on a plate and cover it with foil and ignore it for about ten minutes while you make an amazing sauce. ( The internal temp will go up to about 155 degrees while the pork sits, this is exactly what you want.)

1/4 cup shallots in the hot pork drippings, cook for a couple minutes and then deglaze with 1/4 cup of white wine. Stir this until it starts to disappear and then toss in 3/4 cup of good quality chicken stock. Let this cook down. Slice your pork into 1/2 inch bits and top with sauce. I have a huge list of exciting sides to go with this. I can't wait until I get to parsnips!
This is the most tender, moist, delightfully perfect pork you will ever eat. I swear.
<3,
jamey

5 comments:

Greg said...

NOT!

jamey r said...

if you want to be a loser jerk, greg johnson...please go do it on your girlfriend's blog.

Annie said...

i'm going to be needing the link to the girlfriend's blog.

thank you.

Marcus Myers said...

Wow, you're a badass in the kitchen. And you've got Mad Foodie Style on the keyboard. I had no idea. Danna and I love to cook and eat and read about food. Why have you been hiding this blog from us? I'm sort of offended.

Anonymous said...

I had no idea either. You always made my mouth water for other reasons. HAHAHAHA. Now I'm ashamed of myself. Seriously, this is fantastic. Great job. -Ted T.