Thursday, August 7, 2008

harissa, meh


In an attempt to overcome my mid-summer slump I decided to try to make a North African chili
sauce called Harissa that I had been reading about lately. I was bored and it seemed like the perfect way to spend a hot and humid Wednesday afternoon. ( That was sarcasm. I am an idiot.)
The sauce itself is easy enough. I used about 8 dried New Mexico chili's and two Thai chili's that I soaked in boiling water for about a half an hour. Wearing rubber gloves I removed the stems and seeds and put the bits into a blender. Notice I say blender here and not food processor. You should use a food processor...I should have used my magic bullet. Alas, I didn't. I used the fucking blender. So be it. I tossed in 4 garlic cloves, 1tbs ground coriander, 1/2 tbs cumin, salt, pepper, and dried cilantro. I blended it all together using a little bit of the water the chili's soaked in so as to avoid too much olive oil...which I added about 1tbs of. I tasted this as I went because I am hardcore like that. I suggest you be hardcore like that also or this will end up tasting like butt. I put the whole bunch into an empty artichoke jar and put a layer of olive oil on top. This will keep for awhile in the refrigerator. ( 1-2 months) To be honest, I wouldn't suggest making this unless you're really bored. It wasn't exactly worth it. Though I did use it in dinner...and it worked out okay.
<3,
jamey

2 comments:

Marcus Myers said...

Mmm. I just learned what this delicious red sauce is called on Friday. I always called it red pepper sauce. Danna had had enough of my ignorance, so she finally told me what it's really called.

I'm glad your Harissa didn't turn out tasting like butt.

Greg said...

Did you wash those gloves before you used them? Were they the ones in your bedroom?