Friday, September 12, 2008

fried green tomatoes


Mmmmmmm. Green tomatoes, a few jalapenos, some yellow pear tomatoes...you know, garden stuff. Its getting chilly in the mornings and I still have a lot of tomatoes on the vines. I figured before I pulled them out to ripen in a safer location I would try and give myself and my family a fried food heart attack. The older kids are away at leadership camp this week and I was only cooking for four. Ethan and I always get a little bummed out when the house is so quiet so comfort food seemed in order. I made a wonderful jalapeno, brown basmati, meatloaf that I am still waffling about sharing the recipe...(I have about 6 meatloaf recipes. One more amazing than the next and I am not certain you are deserving of them... Yet) Okay, actually I was planning on doing a meatloaf series so keep your pants on. Anyhoo...where was I ??? OH YEAH! Fried green tomatoes. I sliced my tomatoes nice and thick, covered them with salt, pepper, and cajun spice blend. I let these sit for about 20 minutes.

In the meantime I heated, in a cast iron skillet, about 1/2 cup oil on medium high heat.
I used vegetable. (I wanted to use bacon grease but I am not fully committed to the heart attack idea yet) I made up a little dredging station of 1. Flour with salt, pepper, and cayenne 2.Milk 3.Bread crumbs. I dredged and dropped into the heated oil for about 2 minutes per side. Flip
these very, very carefully with tongs. Unless of course you have asbestos hands. Which I bet you don't.

These were delightfully spicy. The kick so much better than the mostly bland fried green tomatoes I have tasted in the past. This is one of those recipes though, where it really comes down to what your family enjoys. You can skip the spice... you can even skip the bread crumbs. You can substitute panko, you can use actual bacon fat! Its up to you. Its a wonderful occasional treat though...and I highly recommend it as an end of season tradition.


yum!

<3,
jamey

No comments: