Tuesday, September 9, 2008

mexican rice that was so good i forgot to take a picture.


This recipe is technically a two-parter because I made the rice to go into something, but first things first. I am going to give it to you the way I made it because its my blog...though I am going to remind you that your probably not feeding as many boys, men and Isabella's as I am and you will probably want to halve this. I chopped 1 whole onion and sauteed it in 3 tablespoons olive oil. When the onion was transparent I added 1.5 tablespoons ( give or take) of cumin that I had ground in the mortar and pestle, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon cayenne, and some black pepper. I added 2 cups of jasmine rice and browned it. Here you can add chicken stock or vegetable stock. I chose vegetable stock for Isabelle's sake. ( Isabelle whom we have taken to calling "PORK") 4 cups of the stock of your choosing and 1.5 cups of good quality tomato sauce. Bring all this to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cover. Check it occasionally...stir it up...taste it...praise it. Now. On to the second part.
I made burritos.

And they looked like this.

And they made people do this.


I steamed some tortillas in the ole microwave. Warmed up some vegetarian fat-free refried beans. ( I know this sounds like some Sandra Lee shit but its a weeknight dinner...make your own damn refried beans if you want to...I got mine from a can) I put some beans, some rice and some of our favorite house hot sauce inside, folded them up, and two by two after spraying a large cast iron skillet with olive oil cooking spray, grilled them for a minute on each side. I topped
with sliced tomato and avocado.
They ate it.

They mean mugged it.
(that is what that looks like right?)
This is yummy and easy to make for anywhere from 1-8 people. (I'm guessing anything over 8 gets complicated no matter what.)
I once made it for just Ash and myself using refried black-beans and some of that tomatillo salsa.
You should use whole wheat tortillas. For a family this size with today's grocery prices, that's not always an option. You could use whole beans and brown rice as well. Have at it.
<3,
jamey

p.s. the next blog will not have anything to do with my longing for a permanent taco tuesday, i swear!

No comments: