Wednesday, September 10, 2008

spaghetti with roasted cherry tomatoes and thyme from the herbfarm cookbook

(the following recipe by jerry traunfeld)


Its been awhile since I've been excited to try out someones recipe to the letter. (I guess technically I made some minor adjustments to this one...though I still think they really would not have mattered). Help me out here. I am going to give you the exact recipe that I followed. Perhaps someone can try it out and we can compare notes. Don't get me wrong. This wasn't a truly bad experience. It just wasn't what I had anticipated from such a renowned restaurant.
(my family reluctantly nom'ed. really reluctantly.)
Here goes:

6 quarts water
1 1/2 tablespoons plus 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 pint small cherry tomatoes
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons very coarsely chopped fresh English thyme
Freshly ground black pepper
12 ounces dried spaghetti
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

1. Tomatoes. Preheat the oven to 450 F. Fill a large ( 8-quart) pot with the water, add 1 1/2 tablespoons of the salt, and bring it to a boil over high heat. Using a very sharp thin knife, cut each tomato in half and put them on a baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil then sprinkle with the thyme, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and several grinds of the black pepper. Using your fingers, gently toss the tomatoes to coat them evenly.



yum, right?

2. Spaghetti. When the water is at a rolling boil, stir in the spaghetti. Put the tomatoes in the oven and roast until the are sizzling, slightly shriveled, and have released some juice in the pan, about 6 minutes. Rinse a large mixing bowl with hot tap water to warm it, then empty the roasted tomatoes into it. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if needed. Cook the spaghetti until tender but still firm, 7 to 9minutes. Drain and add the pasta to the mixing bowl. Sprinkle with the parsley and toss gently with tongs or two wooden spoons. Serve in warm shallow bowls or plates and pass the cheese at the table.


Alright. I did all of that. As you can see I used yellow pear and red cherry tomatoes.
I used fresh thyme and flat-leaf parley from the garden... and yet.
I will make this again. I will add red pepper flakes to the roasting tomatoes and I will use less parsley and it will be more finely chopped. Try this one out for me would you please?
Lets compare do-overs as well.
<3,
jamey

6 comments:

Bronwyn said...

Everything you make looks so darn delicious! So guess what I've been doing all week. Canning. Guess how many quarts of tomatoes,peaches, and green beans I have canned. 450! That's how many. I hate to be a bragger but I'm freakin awesome. Not quite as awesome as you of course and your beautiful tomatillo salsa. How are things?

jamey r said...

holy crap!
the number is staggering.

steam burns?

i am very very very impressed darling dear. i certainly am.

annie said...

it looks beautiful, but i bet it tasted thin. yes?

jamey r said...

no. not at all, actually.ash described it best. and as much as i'd like to share it with you i won't. wanna know why? BECAUSE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO TRY MAKING IT!!! jeez.

bernthis said...

Okay, so my daughter and I will be over Thursday around five for dinner. Does that work for you? LOL

My God lady, everything looks amazing.

jamey r said...

we always have room for more!