Wednesday, February 18, 2009

mmmmmmeatloaf

Yummy, right?


I never had meatloaf growing up. I didn't know what it was supposed to taste like until I was 23 and sitting in a bar in Ballard drinking shots of whiskey to get me through the blind date from hell. I loved it! ( Not the date, obviously) The meatloaf was pretty extra fucking wonderful for a comfort food. So I decided to make it using ground beef and those flavor packs you buy from one of those inner aisles of the market. It always turned out OK but never what I wanted. Time passed and I allowed myself to let go of my first meatloaf experience and it led me here...to you...with love.
That delightful looking paste in the center of the above picture of heaven is about 6 cloves of garlic confit mashed with a spoon. I went on a garlic preservation jag last week and found this was the best method for me.
Just cover some peeled garlic cloves in a neutral flavored oil and cook on low for about 40 minutes. You will end up with a nice golden, easily mushed clove that you store in the oil in the refrigerator for up to a few months.



The fresh chopped ingredients in the 3.75 pounds of turkey breast above are 1 jalapeno that has been veined and seeded, 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley, 1 finely diced shallot, and a bunch of scallion greens.



The wet and dry ingredients I add last; 4 eggs, sea salt, pepper, and 1 cup bread crumbs.
If your mix seems to dry add a dash of chicken stock. you want something that is going to hold together but not taste bready or dry.



That looks awesome, doesn't it.




Shape this into a loaf shape in 9x13 pan and drizzle with grasshopper spit and sri racha. ( Or whichever hot sauce you prefer) Cook for about an hour at 375 and love.
This fed 9 people with 1 slice leftover. I'm not saying this makes 10 portions- I'm pretty sure it makes more than that...I'm saying this fed 9 people. We actually ate it so fast that I didn't get end pictures.
This meatloaf is NOT to be eaten with ketchup. I mean it. That's gross and kinda cruel.
<3,
jamey

1 comment:

we are never full said...

dude i haven't had a meatloaf in AGES. me wants... ME NEEDS!