Friday, April 16, 2010

maybe its time to change our mission statement


It's amazing how much has changed. I'm sure, my dear only reader, you've noticed I've been gone for most of the last year.I left you with promises of Coq Au Vin and stories of train sex... Alas, I have obviously failed. (Not with either of the latter, I assure you, I just mean I failed to uphold my promise to share.)

We took a good portion of the last year to make some really solid and permanent changes, changes as a family that make us feel better about how we live our lives and the impact we're having. I find myself slowing as I type, reluctant to bore you with all the details. I don't want to come off as preachy or ranty about our move back to a simpler life so I guess I'll just let it unfold naturally. Perhaps with each new post you'll get a better idea of our new found fulfillment.


We've decided to try to keep a journal or some record of what we plant from year to year since I tend to forget. I suppose this is as good a place as any. The size of our gardens have increased considerably. This is what we're growing already (inside the house and out): peas, onion, garlic, radish, carrot, chard, spinach, lettuce, rocket, shallot, potatoes- about 6 types, aubergine, broccoli,artichoke, cabbage, tomato, jalapeno, brussels sprouts, dill, cilantro, thyme, basil, strawberries, raspberries,watermelon, asparagus,rhubarb and of course all of my various perennial herbs and edibles. Not so different from last year, I think. Still to go in the ground: green beans, corn, black beans, pinto beans, cucumber, pumpkin, okra, and...um...what am I forgetting? Something I'm sure. As usual I'm off to an excellent start with the documenting. Bah! This is why Ash keeps the egg journal. Not only would mine be illegible, it'd be severely lacking. We've put in a few new raised beds for perennial food stuff. We've made some great potato bins, whose plans I'll share with you soon.

I leave you with some peas. getting ready to climb the teepee's. Scarlett runner beans! That's what I forgot, phew!
<3,
jamey