Friday, October 12, 2012

oh shit soup. ( or also, put up soup)










Someday's I want soup for lunch. Someday's I look at the clock and realize that Ashley is going to be home for lunch in 30 minutes. Someday's I say, "oh shit" and then frantically make this soup using some fresh but mostly canned, frozen, and dehydrated foods ( items that have been 'put up'). This soup does not need to be made frantically. it can be made slowly with fresh ingredients I have made it a trillion times slowly. I have to admit I love it made this way more. (Note: you do not have to have preserved all of the items for this soup yourself,  but it feels kinda neat when you have. )



4 cups  organic chicken stock ( boxed or from your post dinner frozen stock stores)
2 cups water
8oz to 1 lb cubed fresh cooked turkey breast ( optional)
15 oz organic diced tomatoes
1-2 cups  organic spinach or kale whatever you have frozen ( fresh kale will add a little bit to the "oh shit" cooking time unless its been cooked and frozen.)
1 handful of organic green beans ( frozen)
1-2 shredded or finely chopped  organic carrot. ( I don't like the taste of frozen carrots because you have to blanch them before freezing and it gives them a sweeter cooked taste, so I use fresh shredded carrots here.)
1/4 to 1/2 a head of cabbage depending on what you like.
2 tablespoons dehydrated onions
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes ( I use more)
2 teaspoons granulated garlic
1 teaspoon Italian blend or oregano
Salt
Black pepper ( I like a lot of black pepper)


Throw everything together, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook for at least 20 minutes.
Longer is ideal of course...but hey. To make this vegetarian you would obviously use vegetable stock and omit the turkey. Easy Peasy. This will serve 2 people for 3 days. Why am I only feeding 2 people at lunch time and not 6? Pssshht. I make those fuckers dinner every night. They can make their own lunches.


No comments: